KAWARTHA LAKES-2568 traffic-related charges were laid by Central Region OPP detachments between June 25 and July 3, 2022.
The weeklong campaign was designed to help save lives and reduce injuries on Ontario’s roads, trails and waterways with a special focus on safety equipment.
Police say during the campaign, officers were highly visible as they focused on safety equipment, such as helmets, lifejackets and seatbelts.
Although properly worn safety equipment was the focus of this campaign, enforcement was not limited to just equipment.
Charges laid in Central Region include:
- Speeding – 1331
- Various Highway Traffic Act / Hazardous Moving Violations – 863
- Stunt Driving – 31
- Impaired by Drugs or Alcohol – 63
- Suspensions – warning range on Approved Roadside Screening Device – 10
- Distracted Driving – 26
- Seatbelts (motor vehicle) – 179
- Seatbelts (off-road vehicle) – 6
- PFD/Life Jacket – 44
Off Road Vehicles
- No helmet – 6
OPP officers conducted 2746 traffic stops ramping up enforcement and education regarding the presence and use of lifesaving equipment.