13.7 C
Kawartha Lakes
Tuesday, June 18, 2024
No menu items!
HomeNewsLithium-Ion Battery Charger Malfunction Causes $950,000 House Fire

Lithium-Ion Battery Charger Malfunction Causes $950,000 House Fire

KAWARTHA LAKES-Kawartha Lakes Fire And Rescue says a malfunctioning lithium-ion battery sparked a major house fire in Reaboro.

Fire crews responded to the home on Settlers Road between Peace Road and Slanted Road just before noon on Sunday. The fire began in the garage and had started to spread to the home when fire crews arrived on the scene. Two people were home at the time according to the fire department but both made it out safely.

Deputy Chief Matthews told Kawartha 411 News they believe something happened during the charging process with a lithium-ion battery which caused the fire.

‘The homeowners were following all of the manufacturer’s operating instructions when the fire happened.” said Matthews.

Five fire halls with nine trucks responded to the blaze. Damage is pegged at approximately $950,000.

There has been an increase in fires reportedly caused by lithium-ion batteries recently and Matthews says the best thing people can do is to be prepared.

“The most important thing is to ensure you have working smoke alarms for early notification,” explains Matthews. “Follow all operating instructions on the chargers and ensure you remove the batteries from the charger once they are fully charged, or you can unplug the charger.”

On New Year’s Eve, an e-bike burst into flames inside a Toronto subway train, causing a person to sustain non-life-threatening injuries. Videos captured the intensity of the flames and the subsequent evacuation of the train as smoke billowed out. In light of this event, transit authorities stated policies allowing e-bikes on-board may be subject to review to ensure the safety of passengers and prevent similar incidents in the future.

Closer to home, in August, a house fire on Emily Park Road, east of Omemee, was caused by a charging e-bike battery that exploded. The damages were estimated to be almost $900,000. Read more here:https://www.kawartha411.ca/2023/07/24/900000-damage-to-home-on-emily-park-road-after-e-bike-battery-fire/

Lithium-ion batteries, commonly found in various electronic devices, can pose a fire hazard according to officials.

Don't forget to sign up for our morning newsletter.

Catch up on all the local news while enjoying your coffee.

Pamela Vanmeer
Pamela Vanmeerhttps://www.kawartha411.ca/
Pamela VanMeer is a two time winner of the prestigious Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) Award. Her investigative reports on abuse in Long Term Care Homes garnered international attention for the issue and won the Ron Laidlaw Award. She is a former reporter and anchor at CHEX News, now Global Peterborough and helped launch the New CHEX Daily, a daily half hour talk show. While at CHCH News in Hamilton she covered some of the biggest news stories of the day.

Most Popular

Kawartha 411