PETERBOROUGH-The Peterborough Police Service has made an arrest in a shooting that happened September 4 in Peterborough.
At approximately 12:22 am on Monday, September 4, 2023, officers were called to the area of Rubidge Street and Stewart Street area in response to a call from a citizen. Upon arrival, officers located a male with a leg injury which turned out to be a gunshot. He was taken to Peterborough Regional Health Centre before being transferred to a Toronto-area hospital for further treatment. Police say officers further learned there had been an argument between two men at the time of the incident.
Officers searched the area, but did not locate the suspect.
On September 14, 2023, investigators from the Peterborough Police Service Street Crime Unit, with the assistance of Halton Regional Police officers, arrested 31-year-old Suleman Hussain of Milton.
In connection with the shooting, Hussain was charged with:
- Attempt to commit murder using firearm
- Aggravated Assault
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of firearm
- Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammo
- Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to prohibition order x2
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Pointing a firearm
- Discharge firearm with intent
Police say a search warrant was also executed at a residence in Milton which resulted in further charges:
- Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime under $5000
- Fail to comply with undertaking
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of Trafficking – Methamphetamine
- Possession of a Schedule II substance for the purpose of Trafficking
The accused is being held in custody pending a bail hearing September 15th, 2023.
The Peterborough Police Service arrested this same male after a pursuit on March 18th, 2023, and he was subsequently charged with:
- Operation while impaired – alcohol and drugs
- Failure or refusal to comply with demand
- Failure to stop after accident
- Flight from peace officer
- Dangerous operation
In the March incident, the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) invoked its mandate. Officers have all been cleared of any wrongdoing in connection with the incident.
The accused has previous convictions and has served time in custody for firearms offences according to police.