KAWARTHA LAKES-A private funeral service for OPP Constable Grzegorz (Greg) Pierzchala will be held Wednesday, January 4, 2023, at 11:00 a.m. at the Sadlon Arena, 555 Bayview Drive in Barrie.
Constable Pierzchala was shot and killed while responding to a call about a vehicle in the ditch near Hagersville on December 27th.
The private service will be attended by Constable Pierzchala’s family, their guests, members of the Ontario Provincial Police, representatives from other police services, Canadian Armed Forces members, emergency services personnel and officials.
The funeral service is not open to the public.
Members of the public may view the funeral proceedings via a Livestream on OPP social media platforms:
- YouTube: @ontarioprovincialpolice
- Twitter: @OPP_News
- Facebook: @ontarioprovincialpolice
An in-person broadcast of the funeral is being offered at the Caledonia Lions Hall located at 100 Haddington Street in Caledonia. It will be open to the public at 10:30 a.m. in advance of the service at 11:00 a.m.
Visitation, the funeral mass and interment are also private and not open to the public.
Expressions of condolence to Provincial Constable Pierzchala’s family and friends can be sent via the Provincial Constable Pierzchala memorial page on the OPP website.
A book of condolences can be signed in person at the Haldimand County OPP Detachment located at 72 Highway 54 in Cayuga.
For anyone who wishes to send flowers, they can be sent to Adams Funeral Home and Cremation Services Ltd at 445 St. Vincent Street in Barrie, and Holy Spirit Parish at 650 Essa Road in Barrie.
Donations in lieu of flowers can be provided to the Holy Spirit Parish at 650 Essa Road in Barrie.
PROCESSION TO THE SADLON ARENA
The public is invited to observe the funeral procession as it travels to the Sadlon Arena. Specific route details will be released on Tuesday, January 3, 2023.
The OPP thanks the public in advance for its cooperation and patience. The following road closures will be in effect in Barrie on Wednesday, January 4, 2023:
- Bayview Drive from Big Bay Point Road to Churchill Drive will be closed commencing at 5:00 a.m. This road is expected to reopen at approximately 10:00 a.m.
- Churchill Drive will be closed at Welham Road, with local traffic access only.
- Bayview Drive from Churchill Drive to Mapleview Drive will be closed commencing at 8:00 a.m. This road is expected to reopen at approximately 4:00 p.m.
- Harvie Road/Big Bay Point Road will be closed from Veterans Drive to Bayview Drive commencing at 5:00 a.m. These roads are expected to reopen at approximately 10:00 a.m. (Note: Harvie Road becomes Big Bay Point Road at Fairview Road.)
- Fairview Road will be closed at Little Avenue, with local traffic access only.
Traffic control measures will be in effect to facilitate traffic flow in the area. Further details about these road closures are available on the Barrie Police Service website and social media channels.
“The Ontario Provincial Police extends its gratitude for the support and condolences received from the public since the tragic death of Provincial Constable Pierzchala.” said officials in a press release.