KAWARTHA LAKES-The Water Treatment plant located in Norland is currently experiencing a power outage and is being restored as soon as possible.
Due to the outage, municipal water is temporarily out of service for residents on the drinking water system. For those without an alternative water source, bottled water is being provided and can be picked up at the Norland Water Plant (3474 Monck Road, Norland).
Once the power is restored, a Boil Water Advisory (BWA) will be in effect for residents of Norland on municipal water. Residents will be notified as soon as the BWA has been lifted.
What does a Boil Water Advisory mean?
For your protection and until further notice, it will be necessary to boil all water, which is to be used for human consumption, for at least one minute.
- Water which is to be used for drinking, making baby food, mixing formula or fruit juices, ice, washing fruits and vegetables, or teeth brushing must first be boiled. Begin timing for one minute only after the water has reached a full rolling boil on your stove or in your kettle.
- Store the cooled, boiled water in a container, which has been sanitized and has a lid or other means of covering the container. Sanitize the container by washing it in a solution of one gallon of water plus 1/4 cup of bleach. Clean your countertops, sinks dishes and utensils using this solution as well. Do not drink this solution.
- All fruits and vegetables that will not be cooked should be washed in water that you have boiled.
- Thorough hand washing with soap is an important step in preventing the spread of bacteria. Make sure hands are properly washed after using the toilet, handling diapers, pets, livestock and before preparing food. Wash your hands with soap under running water. After hands are washed and thoroughly dried, apply 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Rub hands together with the amount specified on the label until the hands are dry. Cover all surfaces of the hands. The alcohol content of the sanitizer completely evaporates as it dries. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are disinfectants that contain at least 60 percent alcohol, ethanol, isopropanol or a mixture of both.
- Adults may shower with untreated water as long as no water is swallowed. Adults or young children should sponge-bathe instead of using tub baths. Use a clean supply of water if possible.
The advisory will be lifted by the Health Unit when acceptable samples are received. Please note that this could be a few days. For more information, call the HKPR Health Unit at 1-866-888-4577 or 1-888-255-7839