KAWARTHA LAKES-Members of the City of Kawartha Lakes Detachment OPP laid numerous criminal charges against a driver and passenger after a traffic stop led to an investigation of stolen property.
Police say on September 5, 2021 at approximately 6:45 a.m. officers stopped a vehicle on Mount Horeb Road, in Emily Township, towing a boat and trailer for a Highway Traffic Act violation. Further investigation revealed the boat to be stolen according to police. Officers say they also located drugs and a sawed-off shotgun in the vehicle.
As a result, the driver and passenger have been charged with numerous offences including:
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5,000
- Possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm
- Careless storage of a Firearm
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of Trafficking -Methamphetamine
- Possession of a Schedule IV substance for the purpose of Trafficking x 2
- Possession of over 30g dried cannabis in a public place
Police say names will not be released as the investigation remains ongoing.