KAWARTHA LAKES-After receiving multiple call of thefts from vehicles overnight, the City of Kawartha Lakes Police Service would like to remind residents to properly secure their vehicles. Since May 1, Kawartha Lakes Police have taken 6 reports of thefts from vehicles. We urge everyone to lock their car doors to avoid becoming a victim.
These are all crimes of opportunity where a thief or thieves are going through neighbourhoods pulling on door handles to see what is left unlocked and going through peoples’ vehicles and belongings.
The Kawartha Lakes Police reminds vehicle owners to use common sense when parking and exiting your vehicle.
- Take your keys. Don’t leave them in your vehicle.
- Close all windows and lock all doors.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle, and if you do, make sure they are out of sight.
- Never leave credit cards/debit cards, cash or your wallet or purse inside of your vehicle overnight.
- Park in well-lit areas or preferably inside a garage, if possible. Install lights with motion sensors near where you park your vehicle.
- Get in the routine of double-checking that your vehicle is locked and secure each night.