KAWARTHA LAKES-Environment Canada has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Kawartha lakes and Peterborough, specifically:
- Apsley – Woodview – Northern Peterborough County
- Fenelon Falls – Balsam Lake Park – Northern Kawartha Lakes
- Lindsay – Southern Kawartha Lakes
- Peterborough City – Lakefield – Southern Peterborough County
Officials say conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts and heavy rain.
Severe thunderstorms are possible this morning and this afternoon as a cold front approaches from the west.
– Wind gusts near 100 km/h.
– Torrential downpours giving 25 to 50 mm of rain in an hour or less.
– The risk of tornadoes.
Thunderstorms are possible throughout the day before weakening and moving east of the area this evening.
Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles. Hail is also possible. Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes according to officials. Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads.
The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management recommends that you take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches.