KAWARTHA LAKES-Members of the City of Kawartha Lakes OPP have been called to five break and enters over the past week.
On August 30, 2021, officers responded to a break and enter at a construction site that had occurred the previous evening in Manvers Township. Multiple items were stolen from a secured cargo container.
POlice say on September 1, 2021, officers responded to another break and enter that occurred the evening prior. The residence’s front door had been broken in, however, nothing was reported stolen.
At approximately 12:45 p.m. on September 2, 2021, officers were called to a break and enter in progress in Manvers Township. The suspects were observed fleeing the scene.
Later that same day sometime between 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. some vehicles were entered at the Sandaraska Park.
A barn and more vehicles were also entered at another property in Manvers Township sometime overnight.
OPP cannot yet confirm if these break and enters are related, however, the investigations are ongoing and members of the OPP Forensic Identification Services (FIS) are assisting.
Everyone who lives in Ontario deserves to feel safe. The OPP would like to remind the public to remember some home security tips to keep their residences and belongings safe and secure.
– Increase street visibility around your property so that neighbours and others can see if someone is in your yard or attempting to enter your residence. Thieves prefer residents to not be home. Leave lights on, have your mail collected, and take other steps to make it look like someone is home.
– Thieves prefer easy targets. Target harden your property by using outside lighting, good locks with deadbolts, alarms, and other home protection devices.
– Get to know your neighbours.
– Reach out, volunteer, and participate in your community.
– When you see something suspicious, don’t hesitate to call police – promptness promotes prevention.
– Anticipate – observe – report – participate – PREVENT