KAWARTHA LAKES-The recommendations from the Parkview Public School catchment boundary review were brought forward and approved by the Trillium Lakelands District School Board (TLDSB), Board of Trustees on January 23.
Officials say the decisions affect Alexandra Public School, Central Senior School, Fenelon Township Public School, King Albert Public School, Leslie Frost Public School, Mariposa Elementary School, Parkview Public School, and Queen Victoria Public School.
“What prompted this review is the population growth and housing development in Lindsay. Some of the local schools are over capacity while others have room to accommodate more students. The changes that were approved by the Board of Trustees will help realign enrolment, allowing current and incoming students to receive high-quality educational programming,” says TLDSB Director of Education, Wes Hahn.
The board says the following decisions will take effect September 2024:
- A transition to a Kindergarten to Grade 8 model for Alexandra Public School, King Albert Public School, Leslie Frost Public School (English students), Parkview Public School, and Queen Victoria Public School:Beginning in September 2024, students at each of the above named schools who are currently in Grade 6 for the 2023-2024 school year will remain at their current school and move into Grade 7 for the 2024-2025 school year. They will then stay at the same school for their Grade 8 year, starting in September 2025.Students who are currently in Grade 7 at Central Senior School will remain at Central Senior School for their Grade 8 year in 2024-2025. Grade 7 and 8 French Immersion programming will also continue at Central Senior School.
- Establishment of a new school catchment boundary in anticipation of new housing developments east of the Lindsay Municipal Airport, with interim holding schools in place at Mariposa Elementary School and Fenelon Township Public School. The students within the newly defined catchment boundary will attend the holding schools until such a time that a new school is opened.
- School catchment boundary changes for Alexandra Public School, Fenelon Township Public School, King Albert Public School, Leslie Frost Public School, Mariposa Elementary School, and Parkview Public School. See the revised interactive boundary maps on the Boundary Review page.Some accommodations may be made for students currently residing within the Ken Rei Road area and the area west of Angeline Street North may complete their schooling at Parkview Public School should they choose to. All new students within these areas will attend the new home school catchment boundary school or holding school. Legacy attendance at Parkview Public School will not be considered for students residing within the new proposed boundary for Alexandra Public School.
– Legacy attendance at Leslie Frost Public School (English stream) will not be considered for students residing within the new proposed boundary for King Albert Public School.
– Exceptional circumstances outside of those noted above can be appealed through the regional superintendent’s office.
- There is no change to the current school catchment boundary for Queen Victoria Public School.
Parents/guardians of the affected schools have received a letter with all of the decisions that have been made and these details have also been posted on the Boundary Review page on the Board’s website
TLDSB says it received over 200 responses to the community feedback form, in addition to feedback gained at the community consultation meeting held on November 30, 2023 and that this feedback contributed to the recommendations that were put forward.
“We want the best for the students in our communities and I am pleased with the recommendations put forward by the Board, as they will help to alleviate any overcrowding in the Lindsay schools,” adds TLDSB chair of the board, Colleen Wilcox.
All information, including previous communications can be found on the Boundary Review page.