KAWARTHA LAKES-The City of Kawartha Lakes has awarded the contract for the replacement of the Rainbow Bridge over the Scugog River in Lindsay. The bridge is located on the Victoria Rail Trail, 1km north of Dobson St. and 50m east of the intersection of Russell St. East and Water St.
DM Wills Associates Limited was awarded Engineering Design Services of Rainbow Bridge and staff conducted one (1) public consultation meeting with local residents and interested members of the public on June 15th.
The following is a brief description of the work:
- Traffic control activities for full closure of Rainbow Pedestrian Bridge
- Supply and install environmental/watercourse protection system
- Supply and install dewatering system to allow construction completion in the dry
- Excavate and remove existing bridge and concrete pier footings
- Construct new concrete abutments
- Design, fabricate, deliver, assemble, and install new 2.4m wide prefabricatedtruss bridge
- Grade approaches to new bridge elevation
- Backfill excavation and restore disturbed areas
- Install new railing along trail approaches
A request for quotations opened on August 31 with 10 quotes being sent to the City. The dollar value ranged from $1.2 million to just over $2.15 million dollars.
The contract was awarded to Ratcliff Excavating & Grading who had the lowest bid of $1,180,465.00 not including HST. That’s almost $200,000 over what the city had budgeted but officials say it can be offset by a surplus in other areas.
The construction awards for both Hartley Road Bridge and Ballyduff Road Bridge are expected to come in below budget and as a result, their surplus will be utilized to finance the deficit for the Rainbow Bridge according to the City.
Officials say operational impacts include Rail Trail closures for the duration of the bridge construction, warning signage and detours for trail users will be posted.