KAWARTHA LAKES-The City of Kawartha Lakes Police responded to a report of a female entering vehicles on Elaine Drive on May 27th. A suspect description was provided, officers searched area before receiving a second call.
At 6:15pm a female allegedly fitting the same description was reportedly checking car doors in the area of Orchard Park and Sanderling Crescent. Officers attended the area, located and arrested the female, who was found in possession of stolen property and drugs according to police.
36-year-old Julie Mitton of Lindsay is charged with theft under $5000 X6, possession of property obtained by crime under $5000 X6, possession of a schedule I substance and failure to comply with release order. The accused will appear at the Ontario Court of Justice, located at 440 Kent Street West in Lindsay on July 8, 2021.
City of Kawartha Lakes Police Service wants to remind citizens that thefts from vehicles can occur anywhere at any time. Here are some simple crime prevention steps:
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and take the key
- If you have a garage, use it, and lock the door as well as your vehicle
- Never leave your car keys in plain view or in an easily accessible area
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate and proof of insurance on you at all times. Don’t leave these documents in your glove compartment
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area
- Don’t leave valuables or packages in your vehicle but if you must, place them in the trunk where they are out of plain view
Mitton was previously charged with similar offences in January, February, and early May 2021.