KAWARTHA LAKES-John MacDonald had just dropped his child off at daycare and was walking home when he smelled smoke.
It was approximately 8:15 am this morning. Macdonald says he ran three blocks toward the smoke and found a burning home on Melbourne Street West.
“I had thought people were in the home at first as there was a car in the driveway.”
(Warning video contains some profanity)
The family had gotten out but the dog was stuck inside.
The video shows MacDonald banging on the doors and running around the home. The owners were about a block from the home and explained they had locked their keys inside. There appeared to be a propane tank on fire in the back of the home where an addition was being constructed according to MacDonald.
“I could hear a loud hissing.” Macdonald said.
First MacDonald attempted to kick down the front door to rescue the dog. When that didn’t work he broke a window and climbed in.
“It was really smokey. The dog hid from me. As I smashed the window and I got inside, the front door was booted in and a bystander who went and got the dog. We brought him to safety.”
Police and fire crews responded to the scene. Melbourne Street West was closed for a short time while crews got the fire under control.
The fire was contained to attached building at the rear of the house according to fire officials.
“Fire was caused by discarded ashes from wood stove.” Terry Jones, Deputy Chief told Kawartha 411 news. “No injuries to people or animals, damage $12,000.” Jones said via email.
3 Stations were called, one hall stood down on arrival.