The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry and the Peterborough Police Service are warning area residents about a bear reported in a residential area in City’s west end Tuesday morning.
Police are advising residents to take the necessary steps to avoid attracting bears into local neighbourhoods by removing attractants. Bears are often attracted to things such as garbage, bird food, including suet, seed and nectar, odours from barbecues and ripe fruit left on trees and on the ground.
Police say if you encounter a black bear:
Stop. Do not panic. Remain calm.
Quickly assess the situation and try to determine which type of an encounter this might be – sighting, surprise or close encounter.
When bears are caught off guard, they are stressed, and usually just want to flee. Generally, the noisier the bear is, the less dangerous it is, provided you don’t approach the bear. The noise is meant to ‘scare’ you off and acts as a warning signal.
If you see a black bear:
- Do not try to get closer to the bear for a better look or picture
- Make sure the bear has a clear escape route — don’t corner a bear
- Always watch the bear and slowly back away until the bear is out of sight
- Get inside, if you are near a building or vehicle
- Leave the area, if you are berry-picking, hiking, camping, jogging or cycling
- If you are with others, stay together and act as a group
- If the bear does not get closer to you, slowly back away, talking to the bear in a quiet, monotone voice
- If a bear poses an immediate threat to public safety by exhibiting threatening or aggressive behaviour, call 9-1-1 or the Peterborough Police Service at 705-876-1122.
- For advice on removing bear attractants, call the Ministry’s Bear Wise reporting line toll-free at 1-866-514-2327, Hearing Impaired (TTY) 1-705-945-7641. You will be connected with a live operator during bear season (April 1-Nov. 30).
- Find out more about what to do in emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Read more about bears at https://www.ontario.ca/page/prevent-bear-encounters-bear-wise