If you are looking to rent an apartment in Peterborough, BEWARE, police warn!
Officers have received several recent phone calls regarding an online rental scam. The victims reported that they had responded to a Kijiji ad regarding a potential rental unit or had been contacted by someone claiming to be a landlord after they had posted an ad looking for a rental unit. They say they were asked to provide personal information and then asked to send a rental deposit through an email money transfer or Western Union money transfer.
Instead of sending the money the complainants went to visit the rental address in person. In each instance the address has been for sale and the complainants have spoken to the current residents who stated the address is not for rent. No money was ever sent.
The Peterborough Police Service reminds residents to follow these tips before providing any personal information or funds online for a rental property:
Warning Signs – How to Protect Yourself
- When searching for rentals, go to the address. Schedule a showing and confirm its availability.
- Request a lease/contract. Review it thoroughly.
- Complete open source searches on rental addresses to ensure it’s not a duplicate post.
- Do not send funds to strangers.
- Contact Equifax and Transunion if you’ve provided sensitive information on applications.
- Go with your gut. If it seems fishy it probably is.